Gangtok, July 15 (IPR): Hon’ble Chief Minister Shri Prem Singh Tamang chaired a high-level meeting at Samman Bhawan, Gangtok, today, to review the lockdown in the State and to deliberate on the way ahead.
The meeting had the presence and participation of Hon’ble Ministers, DGP, Additional Chief Secretaries, Heads of Departments, senior Government officials, District Collectors, Chief Medical Officers, Health Department officials, ADCs (Development), and officers of the Covid-19 Management Group.
The Hon’ble Chief Minister issued strict directives to the District Collectors, SPs, ADC Development and BDOs to ensure that strict measures are adopted to contain the spread of Covid-19 any further. He called for the need to review the containment measures. He further called for emphasis on home quarantine even for people who move out of their ward or village. He urged the District Administration to review the paid quarantine facilities for people entering the State through the inter-state borders. He further urged the Health Department officials to enhance mass testing.
The Hon’ble Chief Minister lauded the Health Department for the successful implementation of the vaccination programme. He called for additional measures to ensure 100% coverage.
The Hon’ble Chief Minister directed the Tourism Department to facilitate the smooth movement of tourists into the State, duly ensuring that all safety measures are strictly followed. Likewise, Labour Department and Police Department were directed to strictly monitor the movement of labour force into the State.
During the interactive session that followed the lockdown, the District Collectors presented the status of Covid-19 in their respective districts.
Director, Health Services, Dr. Sonam T. Ethenpa apprised about the status of vaccination and testing. He informed the media that mobile testing will commence next week.
Likewise, Chief Medical Officers of the four districts presented the statistics and ground situation under their respective jurisdiction.
Director-General of Police, Shri S.D. Negi and Special DGP, Law & Order, Shri Akshay Sachdeva also provided their inputs during the meeting.
DG-cum-Secretary Health, Dr. Pempa T. Bhutia summed up the present scenario from the medical point of view. He shared statistics from the past few months and presented a comparative report. He was also apprised about the steps being taken to enhance the existing health infrastructure, especially testing laboratories. He also presented the status of vaccination in the State.
Director, Panchayat, RDD, Shri Prabhakar Rai presented a brief report of the activities being carried out by rural development functionaries to contain Covid-19.
DIG Range Shri Prawin Gurung also placed his suggestions in the meeting. He appealed to the line departments and concerned agencies to coordinate and cooperate with the Police for enforcement of the laid down rules and guidelines.
Likewise, ADCs (Development) of all the four districts also placed their feedback and suggestions in the meeting.
M.S. STNM Hospital Dr. K.B. Gurung gave a brief outline of the caseload in the Hospital and the level of preparedness.
General Manager, SNT, and Member Covid Management Group, Shri Karma Namgyal Bhutia presented the status report of the availability of medical Oxygen in the State. He also gave a brief background of the accomplishment of the State Government in commissioning the required medical Oxygen for the State.
After detailed discussion, the following broad decisions were taken by the meeting:
- Complete ban for one month would be enforced on all socio-religious and entertainment related activities like marriage, pujas and birthday parties and other get-togethers, both in urban and rural areas.
- Keeping in view the present situation, the practice of serving food and beverages during funerals and last rites will be restricted during lockdown.
- IEC and mass awareness on Covid Appropriate Behaviour will be upscaled. It was decided to enforce strict penalties on people and establishments violating Covid-19 guidelines.
- The meeting also decided to put a complete end to the practice of issuing special permits, other than for health and police personnel.
- Police will strictly enforce the odd-even rule for vehicles without any exception during lockdown.
- After reviewing the containment measures, the meeting decided that now onwards, if any person in a ward or village tests positive, the entire ward will be declared a containment zone and strict measures will be enforced to prevent further spread. In case of urban or semi urban areas or towns, the entire building will be contained during lockdown.
- Any relief work, social or medical service should compulsorily be routed through the District Collectors.
- Only in-house puja or rituals will be allowed in religious places. There will be complete ban on visitors to any religious place or institution.
The meeting concluded with the concluding remarks by Principal Secretary, Home Department, Shri R. Telang. He thanked the Hon’ble Chief Minister for his guidance and for the timely decisions. He thanked everyone present in the meeting for their contribution.