Tokyo 2020 Day-9 Perview.
- Indian shuttler PV Sindhu loses in the semi-finals to Chinese Taipei’s Tai Tzu-Yung. This came as a big heartbreak for team India. However, the game isn’t over, India still has hopes for another medal in the tally.
- The weekend didn’t start on a great note. Colombia’s Yurberjen Martinez stunned boxer Amit Panghal in his round of 16 against. Indian archer Atanu Das also went down in men’s individual pre-quarters.
- While on the brighter side, Kamalpreet Kaur made it to the finals after qualifying. The women’s hockey team defeated South Africa in the group of 8 and finished at fourth. Indian shooter Anjum Moudgil and Tejaswini Sawant failed to make the women’s 50m rifle after completing on 15th and 33rd positively in qualification.
ABOUT THE MATCHES
- A big loss for team India on weekend. The reigning world champion PV Sindhu losses from Chinese Taipei Tai Tzu-Yung. She was India’s hope for a gold medal in Tokyo Olympics but she didn’t make it. Sindhu will fight for a bronze medal on Sunday.
- Colombia’s Yurberjen Martinez stunned boxer Amit Panghal in his round of 16 against. Boxer Amit Panghal, the world No. 1 in men’s 52kg, crashed out of the Tokyo Olympics, losing to Yuberjen Herney Martinez. Panghal, India’s biggest hope in this section, lost 5-0 on points, starting the day on a disappointing note for boxing. This came after the high of Lovlina Borgohain reaching the semifinals and assuring a medal for the country.
- India had lost their hope for a medal in archery. Indian archer Atanu Das who defeated Oh Jin Hyek in the last 32 failed to make to finals. Takaharu Furukawa defeated him and he lost 4-6 in a serious and intense match. Atanu Das exits from pre-quarterfinals of the Olympic 2020.
- Indian thrower Kamalpreet Kaur made it to the finals after finishing 2nd in Tokyo Olympics 2020, it was good news on a very rough day for team India. She sent the discus at a distance of 64m in her 3rd and final attempt. She secured her slot for the finals to be held on Monday. India hopes for the gold medal by Kamalpreet Kaur on Monday.
- Indian women’s team got their second win over South Africa by 4-3 in the group of 8 and they finished at 4th. This win still keeps the hopes for hockey in Tokyo Olympics. Striker Vandana Katariya the star player scored the hat-trick which makes India win and keeps their place safe in Olympics. It is India’s second consecutive win after Argentina.
- Anjum Moudgil, Tejaswini Sawant in women’s rifle failed in shooting. Moudgil was in the top 8 but she could not sustain it. The Indian shooting team’s disastrous outing at the Games continued. With only Saurabh Chaudhary qualifying for the finals. Having entered Tokyo on the back of some stunning performances and soaring expectations.
Also, Read – YUVA and Suruchi Prakashan to organise a 15 day: Akhand Bharat capsule