The Seventh Session (Part-II) of the Tenth Assembly of the Sikkim Legislative Assembly, presided over by Speaker Shri. Arun Kumar Upreti, commenced on 2nd November 2023 with a somber note of prayers and condolences extended to the families affected by the recent flooding of River Teesta. The Seventh concluded today.
In a seventh session, the Sikkim Legislative Assembly unanimously passed six significant Bills.
1) Sikkim Goods and Services Tax Amendment Bill, 2023: Introduced by Chief Minister Shri Prem Singh Tamang, who also serves as the Minister-in-Charge of the Finance Department, Government of Sikkim, this bill seeks to make necessary amendments to the Sikkim Goods and Services Tax regulations.
2) Sikkim Guru Padmasambhava University Bill, 2023: Minister-in-Charge of Education Department, Shri Kunga Nima Lepcha, introduced this bill, which has been successfully passed. The bill aims to establish a self-financing private university named “Sikkim Guru Padmasambhava University” in the State of Sikkim. The proposed university will be funded and sponsored by the Kanta Education and Research Foundation and will be located at Syari Constituency, Gangtok District.
3) Sikkim Sardar Patel University Bill, 2023: Also introduced by Minister-in-Charge of Education Department, Shri Kunga Nima Lepcha, this bill was passed. Success Education Guidance Trust, registered under the Indian Trust Act, 1882, intends to establish “Sikkim Sardar Patel University” in the state of Sikkim. The proposed university will be fully funded and sponsored by the Success Education Trust and located at Mikhola, Namchi District.
4) National Council for Skill Education, Sikkim Bill, 2023: Introduced by Minister-in-Charge of Skill Development Department, Shri Bhim Hang Limboo, this bill aims to establish a self-financing organization named “National Council for Skills Education” in the State of Sikkim. The proposed council will have its Head Office at Gangtok and District Centers in all Districts of Namchi, Gyalshing, Mangan, Pakyong, and Soreng.
5) EdTech Skills University, Sikkim Bill, 2023: Also introduced by Minister-in-Charge of Skill Development Department, Shri Bhim Hang Limboo, this bill proposes the establishment of a self-financing Skills University named “EdTech Skills University” in the State of Sikkim. The proposed University will establish its Main Campus at Jorethang, Namchi District.
6) Sikkim Aerial Ropeways Bill, 2023: Introduced by Minister-in-Charge of Urban Development Department Shri L.B. Das, this bill was passed. The bill addresses the challenges posed by rapid urbanization, including traffic congestion, particularly in hilly terrains like Gangtok. The proposed legislation aims to facilitate organized, safe, and reliable public transport systems.
Additionally, Chairman of the Public Accounts Committee, Shri Aditya Golay, presented the 132nd report on performance audit of the Sikkim state Lotteries for the financial year 2010-11 to 2015-16. Furthermore, annual reports of the Sikkim Public Service Commission, Sikkim State Human Rights Commission, and Mines and Geology Department were presented in the house.